Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hannah Just Read: Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters


I have this thing that whenever I read a book (that I like) I automatically want to move to wherever the books is set. For example, when I read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart, I realized my desire to move to New England. When I read Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson I was overtaken with the uncontrollable urge to be a New Yorker. I read The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd last year. The book is set in a fictional city in the Midwest, and all of a sudden I thought to myself, "gee, I've always wanted to live in the Midwest." But that is so not true! I've NEVER wanted to live in the Midwest! I don't even LIKE the Midwest! They get tornadoes! You get the idea.

Anyway, the tradition was upheld as I read Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford last weekend. It is set in Baltimore, and now I am seriously considering moving... I mean, until I start a new book. But Confession of the Sullivan Sisters is told by Norrie, Jane, and Sassy, in letters to their grandmother, who has threatened the Sullivan family with dis-inheriting them unless the Sullivan who has offened her confesses to his or her transgression. The three sisters all have secrets to confess--big ones, and they are owning up to them now.

This book was a fun and quick read. I read it in just a few hours, and it was quite enjoyable, but definitely chicklit, even though the Sullivan sisters are smart and interesting, which not all girls in chicklit books are. I would recommend this book to anyone who just needs something fast and easy to read. It was like eating a fun-sized candy bar: sweet and delicious and just the right size.

No comments: