Friday, June 01, 2007

What Mrs. N's Been Reading - On the Head of a Pin


Ok, I actually finished this one a week or so ago, but I still haven't quite figured out what I thought of it. The book is Mary Beth Miller's On the Head of a Pin. It's about what happens to a group of teens in north-central Pennsylvania, after one of them is accidently shot and killed at a party, and the teens involved attempt to hide the body and cover up their involvement. The entire premise isn't exactly uplifting, in fact it's downright disturbing. In addition to the killing, the book also dealt with bullying and child abuse. On top of the generally depressing nature of the book, I also had some issues about how one particular character, a very religious teen, was portrayed. That got a little better by the end of the book, but it still bugged me. My overall thoughts on the book? I'm still deciding. But I'm definitely due for something far less depressing for my next read. I've started Kevin Brooks' Being. I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments: