Tuesday, June 05, 2012

By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead / Julie Anne Peters

TITLE: By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead
AUTHOR: Julie Anne Peters
OWNED BY CCLS? Yes.


High school student Daelyn has been bullied her entire life; for being fat, for being there; really just because she's an easy target. Due to her various past traumatic experiences, Daelyn has attempted suicide multiple times. She is fed up with the bullying and is determined to end it once and for all. After "Through the Light.com," which is a forum for those who want to end their lives, Daelyn makes a "Date of Determination" and begins counting down the days. Will Daelyn go through with her final suicide attempt and end her life? Or will Daelyn begin to feel less depressed, become less of a target and learn to trust others again and live?   

M's Verdict: Going into this book and having liked all of the other Julie Anne Peters books that I had previously read, I was a bit surprised at how much more intense and dark this novel was. I kept tensing up for the very depressing and terrible ending that seemed to be inevitable! I couldn't stop reading! By the time I was done reading, I can truthfully say that I was mentally and physically exhausted. This story is not for the faint of heart and it's definitely not a fun or light read. This story, although rather depressing is quite relevant to today's generation of teenagers and does provide some uplifting moments and great resources at the end of the book. This is definitely a great book for discussions on bullying and bullycide and if anyone reads the book and wants to talk about it, I'd love to be a part of the conversation.

No comments: