Thursday, October 13, 2011

Shadoweyes / Ross Campbell

I just finished a GREAT, but truly creepy fiction novel, however, I have to wait to post my review because the book isn't due to be published until November! Stay tuned for that one, it's a CAN'T MISS! ...

Instead of making you wait until November for a review, here's an update on the graphic novels in my "to read pile."

Batman R. I. P. / Grant Morrison
I started it and let's just say I got bored, wasn't wowed and therefore decided to cut my losses and move on to something that would hopefully retain my interest and be a bit more... interesting. [In case you haven't noticed from my reviews, if I start reading something and it really doesn't grab me and I don't have a huge incentive to read it, I will stop reading. There are soooo many books either in my "to read pile" or about to go into my "to read pile," that I feel that I cannot waste precious time on a stinker of a book; that's just my own personal theory.]

The Griff / Christopher Moore
Dare I say it, I was all ready for a good graphic novel, after not being sucked into the above GN. Unfortunately, even though I tried and almost succeeded in getting all the way through Moore's The Griff, I felt like the pay off would not be great... and ... I ... yup, cut my losses and ended the pain. I must say that the foreword and afterword were interesting and very insightful in regards to the creators--rather cynical and bitter individuals they must be. However, the GN as a whole was not put together well. The story line was weird and disconnected and the illustrations weren't anything spectacular. So, I'd say--skip it--unless you already checked it out and you've got no other GNs in the house.

Shadoweyes / Ross Campbell
My saving GN grace in my pile--Shadoweyes! Black and white illustrations with an interesting story line (both done by Ross Campbell) are just what I was looking for!

Scout Montana is a teen living in a futuristic society in a city called Dranac. Crime runs rampant and Scout is determined to help rid the city of evil-doers by becoming a superhero. In her first attempt to aid a neighborhood victim, Scout is hit in the head with a brick. Although many would think this would put a kibosh to any future heroism on Scout's behalf, the incident actually has a morphing affect on Scout. She shape shifts into a blue creature that has superhuman powers--Shadoweyes. Can Shadoweyes help Scout to fight Dranac crime or will Shadoweyes, like many superheroes, be feared by locals just as much as the criminals?

If you're just starting to read graphic novels or are interested and not quite sure what to read, try Shadoweyes. It's a bit sci-fi, realistic, romantic, adventurous, urban fictitious (yup, totally made that one up) and truly entertaining. I will certainly be reading the second book in the series: Shadoweyes in Love.

No comments: