Monday, May 02, 2011

If I Stay






TITLE: If I Stay
AUTHOR: Gayle Forman
OWNED by CCLS? Yes.








I will admit right off the bat, that I am totally swayed by the cover of a book. Covers pull me in and it's the first few pages and chapters that hook me (or totally turn me off). Don't get me wrong, a book with a great cover can be completely horrible, so don't let the cover be the only deciding factor. Anyhow, I do have a point...

One YA book that I recently picked up (based upon the interesting cover) was Gayle Forman's If I Stay. It's about a teen girl and her family who are in a terrible car accident. The entire story revolves around whether the talented teen cellist Mia will fight to live or succumb to the darkness of death that seems to be calling her.

I was drawn to the impending doom that seemed to drip off of the blurb of the book, but I can't say that that was enough to propel me through the entire book. For the readers of this blog, I can proudly say that I was able to power through the whole book; depressing topic, high level vocabulary, obvious outcome and all.

M's Verdict: Eh, not good enough for me to want to read the sequel: Where She Went. From looking at our copy, it's checked out a lot and the reviews are really good too, so obviously my opinion is not the same as many others. If you disagree with me, let me know! Share your thoughts and give me a teen perspective of If I Stay by Gayle Forman.

No comments: