Friday, July 21, 2006

What Mrs. N's Been Reading

I am way behind in posting this stuff, but then again I'm falling behind on my reading too. Anyway, I've read a couple of good ones lately. Alex Flinn's Fade to Black was a pretty good, quick read. It's about an HIV positive teenager who is the victim of a vicious attack. The story is told from 3 different points of view: the victim, the accused attacker, and a student with Down's Syndrome who witnessed the attack. Sometimes those multiple point of view books are difficult to follow, but this one is pretty clear. A thought-provoking read - good if you need a book for school on a controversial subject.

The other one I finished recently is Scott Westerfeld's Uglies. Excellent book! It's getting really good reviews by people in the Teen Summer Reading program as well. It's the first book in a trilogy about a futuristic society where everyone is transformed, medically into drop-dead-gorgeous people on their 16th birthday. Sounds great, but of course, all is not what it appears on the surface. I was going to go for Pretties, the next one in the series, but all of the copies are out. I'm going to wait until school starts when you guys are all busier with homework, and don't have quite as much time for leisure reading. I can't wait.

While I'm waiting on Pretties, I'm reading Markus Zusak's The Book Thief. Very interesting so far. It takes place in Germany during WWII but it's narrated by Death. I'll let you know what I think when I finish it.

No comments: