Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Hannah Just Read: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

I would like to start by saying YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK. You will love it--guys, girls, anyone, really... you will like this book.
Sam (full name Samhain Corvus LaCroix) is a college dropout turned professional burger flipper at Seattle fast food joint Plumpy's. He hangs out with his friends, skateboards, and cracks jokes like any normal kid until the night that Douglas Montgomery walks into Plumpy's and recognizes Sam for what he is-- a fellow necromancer with the ability to raise the dead.
Douglas is less than thrilled that there is another necromancer in town, and now he's out to get rid of Sam, who has one week to figure out all this necromancer stuff with the help of his best friend, Ramon, a hottie female werewolf, a talking head, and his mom.
This book was all over the book blogs and lists screaming its praises since it was released in December, and for good reason. Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride is hilarious and exciting, and I hope it is the start of a series or a trilogy or something, because I loved it and I want to read more. I liked, too that it sort of took all of the fantasy stuff that's going on in teen lit right now and turned it on its head, poking fun at it, but at the same time embracing it. It was like the book was one big inside joke and everyone is in on it. I will say, though, just an FYI, Sam and his friends are a little older, like 19 or 20, and they do stuff in the book that people who are a little older do, but read the book if you want to, because I doubt you'll be disappointed. Unless you're boring or have no sense of humor.

Incidentally, this is also my last blog post. Starting the 21st of March I'm going to be moving to Allentown to be the Youth Services Librarian at the Parkland Community Library, so if you're ever in the area, stop in to say hi! I've loved reviewing books on here, and I hope you have liked reading them!

No comments: