Thursday, September 14, 2006

What Mrs. N's Been Reading

Wow, I've been picking some really good ones recently. I just finished Marjorie Blackman's Naughts and Crosses. This one has a bit of everything - a romance, social unrest, racial issues, disfunctional families, a kidnapping, terrorism, political intrique, you name it. It's written from two characters' viewpoints in alternating chapters - something that isn't always pulled off well, but in this case it was. It's billed as a thriller and I have to tell you that when I did need to put it down because I was propping my eyelids open in the middle of the night, I couldn't wait to pick it back up again. Some reviewers have thought that it starts out slow. If you agree, just hang in there a little bit, it picks up speed quickly. I would highly recommend it, but only to high school students, not middle schoolers, due to some mature content that was, however, handled tastefully and in context.

No comments: